Camp Topanemus provides a traditional day camp experience that helps children and teens grow in spirit, mind and body based on the values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. Safety is our #1 priority. Counselors are carefully selected and hired based on their skills and participate in a week long training. We have an excellent swim instruction program that follows the YMCA Progressive Swim Guidelines.
We have convenient, optional transportation from Clarksburg, Englishtown, Freehold, Hightstown, Howell, Jackson, Manalapan, Marlboro, Morganville and Old Bridge. We also offer Extended Care as early as 7am and as late as 6:30pm in 2 locations; Camp Topanemus and the Freehold YMCA.
With our safe, affordable, quality programs you can be assured that your child will have an amazing camp experience!
- Choice of Electives
- Flexible Days – Choose 3, 4 or 5 days per week
- Swim Lessons
- Arts & Crafts
- Zip Line / Climbing Wall
- Pool Slide
- Specialty Camps
- Travel Camp
- Leader-In-Training Program
- Lunch Program
- Optional Transportation
What are the Ages of Campers?
- We base our groups on the grade your child will attend in the fall
- Our campers start at age 5 going into Kindergarten in the fall and go up to age 15
Are your Groups Coed?
- Yes, all our groups are coed.
- Sometimes a particular camp has more campers of one sex than another; the group is still open to anyone wishing to participate.
Can You Extend the Camp Hours?
- Yes. We provide extended care here at Camp Topanemus and at the Freehold YMCA facility located at 470 E Freehold Road, Freehold.
- Extended Care hours are from 7:00 am to 9:00 am and from 4:00 pm to 6:30 p.m. If your camper has extended care at the Freehold YMCA, the shuttle bus fee is included in the extended care rate.
Can You Enroll Anytime?
- Camp enrollment is on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis and many camps fill up early on, however, if we have an opening we will accept enrollment throughout the camp season.
- Registration is available online.
Do you Provide Lunch?
- An optional lunch meal plan is available for a small fee. Please contact the office for more information.
Can Campers Buy Snacks?
- Yes. We have a Trading Post that stocks drinks and snacks. The Trading Post also offers toys and other novelty items.
Can You Switch from One Camp Program to Another?
- As long as there is availability, you can switch your child.
- There is a $25 charge for each program change as well as any charges for differences in the cost of the camps.
What About Ticks?
- We have an aggressive, professional spraying program, done off-hours on a regular basis for ticks and mosquitoes.
Is There Trained Medical Personnel on Site?
- Yes. We have a trained staff member during regular camp hours.
What Do the Campers do if it’s Raining or Excessively Hot?
- Camp Topanemus has indoor space to accommodate campers on rainy days.
- In excessive heat we modify the schedule to give more time in the water and we limit high exertion activities.
What About Refunds or Credits?
- The YMCA of Western Monmouth County and the YMCA Camp Topanemus does not issue refunds.
- A credit may be issued for an illness resulting in 3 consecutive days’ absence from camp. A doctor’s note is required.
- There are no refunds or credits for vacations. We will make every effort to switch your camper to different weeks if necessary.
- In the rare instance a child is expelled from camp, there will be no refund or credit issued.
What is the Swim Program Like?
- At Camp Topanemus we have an excellent swim program. We have two pools – Little Creek which goes up to 3 feet in depth and Big Creek which goes up to 6 feet.
- All of our campers get a recreational swim. Campers in the Day Camp Programs also get an instructional swim.
- While our swim instructors are trained to encourage your child to participate in both swim instruction and recreational swims, no child is forced to go into the water.
- All lifeguards and swim instructors are certified in life guarding, first aid and CPR.
What are the Ages and Experience of your Staff?
- Many of the staff are teachers and/or individuals who work with children year round.
- Our Specialty Camp Leaders have special knowledge and training in that specialty.
- Our Senior Counselors are a minimum of 18 years old while our Junior Counselors are a minimum of 16 years old before the summer starts.
- ALL CAMP STAFF UNDERGOES A BACKGROUND CHECK AND SPECIAL TRAINING BEFORE STARTING WORK.
What is the Staff/Camper Ratio?
- Ratios are 1 to 8 for K and Grade 1 and 1 to 10 for Grades 2-8.
- Each programmed activity has a specialist who is involved with each group during those special activities, along with the groups regular counselors.
Is there Bus Service?
- Inside each registration packet is a busing schedule. Choose the location closest to you and we will place you at that stop on a first come first serve basis.
- We have a shuttle bus that leaves from the Freehold YMCA.
- There is no home busing with extended care.
- We can not pickup and drop off children at different locations.
- All the drivers are specially licensed and have a background check through our contracted bus service. They are under the supervision of our Camp Director.
Are There Any Special Events over the Summer?
- Throughout the summer we have special programming such as Theme Days, Carnival, Hot Dog Roasts and Special Guests.
Do You Have A Special Program for Teens?
- Yes. Travel Camp is one of our most popular programs. Tuesday through Friday our teens go on a different trip. They spend time at camp on Monday.
- Trips are to outdoor recreational areas, water parks, sporting events and on rainy days to the movies, bowling, etc.
- Please see our Travel Calendar.
- Our Travel Camp is very well chaperoned. The Unit Leader is a full-time Y staff member and the counselors are mature and experienced.
Do You Have A C.I.T. Program?
- Our Program is called Leadership Training. It is an 8-week program only.
- Our L.T.’s are 14-15 years old, attending 9th or 10th grade.
- Campers in our L.T. program are charged a program fee; they do not get paid, they are campers.
- Applicants in this program must fill out a separate Leadership Training Packet and have an interview with the Camp Director.